Wednesday, June 25, 2008

My First Day with the Host Family: Frisbee remains the universal language

These are wonderful people. Peace Corps handled out home stay assignments in Khashuri today and introduced us to “our” Georgians. My host family consists of a pair of grandparents, a father, a brother (13) and a dog. Their home is surprisingly big, my room on the second floor is easily the size of the studio I had in Chicago (although considerably cheaper). There’s a small garden out back and a chicken coop, all surrounded by cherry [bali] trees. It’s so beautiful here.

There was a large dinner [supra] waiting for me at home. They make this cheese bread [khatchapuri] that has quickly become my favorite Georgian food. It’s goats’ cheese wrapped in a very soft bread and is uncannily similar to the cheesy breadsticks they serve at Pizza Hut. I couldn’t identify most of the other dishes served but there hasn’t been anything so far that’s unpleasant tasting or has caused problems after eating it. The hospitality has been wonderful.

During the ride back, the tour of the house and the dinner I got to see many of the fascinating differences between Georgia and America, after the feast it was time for the similarities. Even in college I’ve never seen so many bootleg DVD’s (dubbed in Russian). My host brother, Ilia, and I watched “The Fast and the Furious” for a bit and held a game of Frisbee with a couple of his friends. That Frisbee may be the best investment I made of all my Peace Corps purchases and that’s including my solar charger. Humor and humility remain universal throughout the world as the kids, my host father and I laughed and cheered as we either caught the disc or fell on our asses trying. Not a lot of progress was made on the language barrier but for some things words are superfluous.

All in all, I’m rating today as a success.

1 comment:

Sara said...

And to think I was surprised when you got the most expensive Frisbee in the store. As you say, your investment is paying off!