Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Second Day in Bebnise: These are good people

My host dog has decided to keep me company while I work on my blog entries. I got my first Georgian shower in today. There’s a wood fired boiler that heats the water, my host grandmother [bebia] was happy to show me how to use it. It’s a bit of an ordeal to set up but, overall, a very pleasant shower. Feelin’ clean and happy.

Ilia and I watched “Gone in 60 Seconds” today. Ilia seems to have the same car fetish as my real brother and, also like my real brother, likes to fast forward through the dialogue to get to the action packed car chases.

I got the 50 cent tour of Bebnise today: the residential areas, the fields, the lake, the church and the 2 shops [maghazia]. The people seem friendly and I’ve had a couple of them come up to me and practice their English. Ilia has some fluency in English (maybe second year college level?) and has been a huge help in showing me around. It remains an endless source of amusement for him and his friends for Ilia to point to something in the town, give me the word in Georgian and listen to me butcher it mercilessly with my miserable language skills. It took about half an hour to see all the highlights of the town today. No sign of the other volunteers in Bebnise (in a town of about 500 families I bet if they were out today I would have saw them), I hope they’re enjoying their stay so far too and not staying in their rooms.

Lunch is about ready.

(Supplemental note: my host grandmother and I just did a shot of the nastiest looking vodka I’ve ever had in my life. It was kind of a dark, dirty yellow color. I think I'm going to go lay down for a while.)

1 comment:

Sara said...

I'm glad you have a host dog!