Saturday, July 12, 2008

Back to work

We’ve just finished our first project in our technical (social entrepreneurship) training. Each group had to construct a business plan for a potential Georgian business and I think we rocked it. We were given an outline of an idea for a juice company in Shida Kartli region and told to flesh it out with marketing, organization structure, SWOT analysis of competitors, etc. We worked for about a week on our presentation and put together financial documents, process maps, organization charts, and marketing and distribution strategies. Luckily I’m blessed with some very talented people in my group and we put together a detailed, well thought-through and sharp looking presentation and were able to put enough energy behind it to successfully sell our ideas. A quick note to my friends at The Alford Group: we had the slickest PowerPoint in the room thanks to the time I spent at the firm. (Extra special thanks to my man Tim)

It felt good to be working on a project again. We’ve been killing ourselves for the last month acquiring the language and it was almost cleansing to get back to something that uses our strengths. I got to work out the organizational structure, distribution strategy and do a SWOT analysis among other things. Those that have worked with me know that I have something of a fetish for procedure and, after struggling day after day to pick up a foreign in a place far from home; it was something close to heaven to do what I do best. I worked on the flow charts until about midnight last night and I couldn’t have been happier.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Sounds like great team effort! Glad to know you have a chance to do what you do best. Hang in there, Joe! Once you're done with training you'll be ready to help real organizations in Georgia.