Saturday, July 12, 2008

July 4, 2008: Independence Day

Today is our Independence day, a holiday for every American except Peace Corps volunteers. We went to work today while the rest of the U.S. is getting drunk, barbequing and stockpiling explosives (lucky, lucky bastards). There is something satisfying though in representing the country on its birthday. I wonder if that’s why we had the formal celebration yesterday?

Probably not, I’m still betting on poor logistics instead. Either way we’re still all feeling pretty American and liking it.

I’m thinking today about my contribution to the U.S. I don’t know how many are considering their worth to their country over the holiday but I’ve actually worked out the numbers on mine: it’s about $43,000. That’s the cost of keeping 1 volunteer overseas for a year; logistic, staff support, medical supplies, language training, etc. It’s a surprising number. If you saw how we lived you’d be pretty shocked too that it costs 43k.

I discussed the cost of the program with some of my fellow volunteers yesterday; jury is still out on whether we’re worth it.

The 4th in Georgia is, at the same time, surreal and mundane. We go about our business, class and seminars, and eat the same food we always do, just trying to make it through our training. It’s odd though because we know what’s going on in the U.S. right now and, even if we really wanted to, we probably couldn’t have put together a decent celebration of our own. Sigh. Right now Rogers Park is preparing to blow a hole in Loyola beach the size of a Buick and I’m missing it this year. Of course, this is also Taste of Chicago week and this is the first in six years I’ll be missing it. Those of you who know me know how I feel about the event, I don’t think I need to explain to any of you what it means to not go.

Damn, I would kill for a buffalo wing.

All in all, I’m happy that I get to celebrate the 4th in the Peace Corps though. Being an American means something extra dear to you when you’re far from home and surrounded by nothing familiar. Peace Corps training has been a pretty trying time for me so far, there’s definitely more good days than bad but there’s been some rough spots. We all feel pretty good today though and I’m learning to appreciate small victories over here.

Happy Independence Day everyone, God bless America.

No comments: